Massachusetts man dies from eating excessive amount of black licorice – New York Post

A Massachusetts male died last year from eating an excessive quantity of black licorice, medical professionals said Wednesday.
The uncommon case was reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, detailing how the male taken in a bag and half of the sweet every day for two weeks prior to his death.
Licorice consists of glycyrrhizic acid, which might deplete potassium levels and contribute to heart rhythm problems, physicians explained.
” Even a percentage of licorice you eat can increase your blood pressure a little bit,” said Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital who described the case in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The guy had collapsed inside a junk food dining establishment and passed away the next day. Medical professionals found he had dangerously low potassium, which resulted in heart rhythm and other problems.
The Food and Drug Administration alerts eating just 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks might result in an irregular heart beat.
Jeff Beckman, a spokesman for the Hershey Company, that makes the popular Twizzlers licorice twists, told the Associated Press that “all of our products are safe to eat and formulated completely compliance with FDA guidelines.”
Beckman included all candy “needs to be enjoyed in small amounts.”
With Post Wires

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *