Child dead after infected by rare brain-eating amoeba found at Texas splash pad – Fox News

A kid died after checking out a Texas splash pad and ending up being infected with an uncommon brain-eating amoeba, city authorities revealed Monday. Arlington authorities stated the city and Tarrant County Public Health were informed on Sept. 5 that a child had been hospitalized with primary amebic meningoencephalitis– a typically fatal and uncommon infection caused by the naegleria fowleri ameba..
Naegleria fowleri.
( cdc.gov) The young boy died on Sept. 11. His identity was not released. After discovering of the kids illness, health officials began examining and closed all of Arlingtons public splash pads. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) validated the existence of the amoeba in water samples from the Don Misenhimer Park splash pad on Friday. NEW YORK CITY MAYOR DE BLASIO GIVES FRIDAY DEADLINE FOR SCHOOL EMPLOYEES TO GET VACCINE AFTER LEGAL VICTORYA review “identified spaces in our day-to-day inspection program,” Deputy City Manager Lemuel Randolph stated. “Those gaps led to us not meeting our upkeep standards at our splash pads.” An evaluation of inspection logs at the Don Misenhimer splash pad found water chlorination readings werent recorded on two of the three dates that the child existed in late August and early September, city officials stated. Arlingtons drinking supply of water was not affected, and that the splash pad is equipped with a backflow avoidance gadget created to separate its water from the citys water circulation system. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPNaegleria fowleri infections are unusual, with simply 34 reported in the U.S. from 2010 to 2019, according to the CDC. People are contaminated when water including the ameba enters the body through the nose, usually when individuals go swimming or diving in lakes and rivers.The Associated Press contributed to this report..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *