While product-related injury visits to the emergency clinic saw a total drop during the very first 7 months of the pandemic, those involving kids and batteries saw a 93% boost. A Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report released in January reported the spike in children ages 5-9 and said while many injuries included intake, some consisted of foreign body issues, such as when a battery was stuffed into an ear or nose. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), which has a Button Battery Task Force, estimates that more than 2,500 button battery injuries in children occur each year. The batteries can be found in push-button controls, flameless candles, bathroom scales and other family gadgets like light-up tennis shoes, watches and calculators. They can trigger extreme tissue burns in as little as two hours and cause long-lasting injuries. Instant emergency situation care is recommended if a kid is suspected to have actually swallowed a button battery or put one in their nose or ear. The AAP also recommends calling the National Battery Ingestion Hotline for support at 1-800-498-8666. CDC SAYS SCHOOLS SHOULD OPEN IN THE FALL, RECOMMENDS MASKS FOR UNVACCINATEDSigns that could show a child has consumed a battery could consist of wheezing, drooling, belly or chest discomfort, coughing, gagging or choking. In addition to the significant spike seen throughout the early months of the pandemic, the AAP reports that the variety of children with severe injury or death more than quadrupled in the five years in between 2006 and 2010 compared to the five years prior. “The most serious injuries are usually associated with 20 mm diameter batteries, about the size of a nickel, due to the fact that they are likely to get lodged in a small childs esophagus,” the AAP warned. “If a coin cell lithium battery ends up being lodged in the esophagus it can cause tissue injury and necrosis within hours, causing perforation or death if not removed urgently.” CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGEThe CPSC likewise discovered a sharp rise in injuries related to cleaning up agents, which it stated “is likely due to the fact that as consumers stayed at home and did more housekeeping, injuries increased.” “These included injuries from liquid laundry packets, which continue to be a serious hazard for both little kids in case of intake and– increasingly– for elders, who suffer ocular injuries,” the CPSC mentioned.
- Alcohol Abuse Is on the Rise. Heres Why Doctors Fail to Treat It. – The New York Times
- A Woman Died Of COVID After Contracting 2 Variants At The Same Time, Researchers Say – NPR