A woman in Australia discovered her headaches were caused by tapeworm larvae in her brain – CNN

The aches were caused by tapeworm larvae that had taken up space in her brain, according to a new research study on her case by the The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene released on September 21. The woman, who never took a trip overseas, is the first native case of the disease in Australia, the research study stated. Previous Australian cases of this infection were from immigrants or returning citizens who traveled to regions where the disease is endemic to, such as Africa, Asia, and Latin America.For the previous 7 years, the woman grumbled of headaches that would take place two- or three-times a month and disappeared with recommended migraine medication. Her most current headache lasted for more than a week and came with more severe visual signs, including the blurring of her main vision.An MRI of her brain led physicians to think that a tumor might be the cause of her discomfort, but after operating and eliminating the sore, they discovered it was really a cyst full of tapeworm larvae. After the elimination, she needed no additional treatment.This condition is referred to as neurocysticercosis, which can cause neurological symptoms when larval cysts develop in the brain. Individuals who get the parasitic infection do so by swallowing eggs found in the feces of an individual who has an intestinal tapeworm, according to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Neurocysticercosis is fatal, and a leading reason for adult onset epilepsy worldwide, the CDC stated. Tapeworms normally settle in humans intestinal tracts, an infection referred to as taeniasis, and some can hand down their own without medication. The parasite is typically transmitted when people consume undercooked pork– pigs are frequently intermediary tapeworm hosts– or be available in contact with water, food and soil contaminated with tapeworm eggs.The female, who worked as a barista, was considered to be at no or really low threat of infection with tapeworm larvae however is thought to have actually somehow inadvertently ingested tapeworm eggs released from a carrier.A man from Texas had a comparable experience, struggling with splitting headaches for more than a years that turned out to be caused by tapeworm larvae that ended up being lodged in his brains 4th ventricle.The best line of defense versus similar infection is cooking meat to safe temperature levels, cleaning your hands with soap prior to consuming and only eating food you can ensure was prepared in hygienic conditions.CNNs Scottie Andrew added to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *