7-year-old dies from rare brain-eating amoeba tied to California lake – CBS News

Tehama County public health officials did not return telephone messages from The Associated Press seeking remark.

A child infected with an exceptionally uncommon brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a Northern California lake died in a hospital, his household confirmed Friday. David Pruitt, 7, of Tehama County, passed away from primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM, on August 7, stated his auntie, Crystal Hayley.

The kid was hurried to the emergency clinic on July 30 and then flown to UC Davis Medical Center where he was on life assistance with extreme brain swelling, Hayley stated in a fundraising site she created for the household to raise funds for his care and funeral.The infection is extremely rare, and there have actually only been 10 cases reported in California because 1971, the Tehama County Health Services Agency said in an August 4 press release. It stated the young boy was most likely contaminated in a lake in Tehama County but didnt identify the young boy or state where he got contaminated.

“Once the ameba enters the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes PAM, which is generally fatal,” it said.In the very first phase of infection, patients report having a severe headache, vomiting, queasiness and fever. As the infection aggravates, they can develop a stiff neck and experience seizures or hallucinations, according to the CDC.

Hayley stated “they want individuals to be aware of this amoeba and the illness signs. In rare circumstances, individuals can get contaminated if warm water from a swimming pool that has actually not been adequately treated with chlorine enters the nose, the CDC said on its page about the infection.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *